Catherine Garber Crist receipts from the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg
Scope and Contents
The Catherine Garber Crist Receipts from the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, 1930-1934 consist of 21 receipts by the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg at various dates from 1930-1934 indicating receipt of payment for tuition, lab fees, room and board, etc. by Catherine Louise Garber. All receipts contain the signature or stamped signature of Howard Kemper Gibbons who served as treasurer at the college. In addition to the receipts, there are two bills issued by the State Teachers College dated 1932 and 1933 listing itemized tuition and fees due for Catherine Garber. These bills are addressed to Catherine’s father, Mr. M. W. Garber, in Fort Defiance, Virginia and Staunton, Virginia, respectively.
- Creation: 1930 - 1934
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) (Organization)
- Crist, Catherine Garber, 1913-2005 (Compiler, Person)
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Catherine Louise Garber (1913-2005) was born in Fort Defiance, Virginia to M. W. (Minor William) Garber and Rena Western Garber. Garber graduated from the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg in 1934 with a degree in home economics. While a student, Garber was a member of the Frances Sale Club and the Sesame Club. After graduation, Garber became a self-employed seamstress.
Garber married Raymond Kiser Crist in 1949 with whom she had one son, Bill Crist of Harrisonburg, Virginia.
0.08 cubic feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
The Catherine Garber Crist Receipts from the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, 1930-1934, consist of 21 receipts issued by the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg at various dates from 1930-1934 indicating receipt of payment for tuition and various fees by Catherine Louise Garber. In addition to the receipts, there are two bills issued by the State Teachers College dated 1932 and 1933 listing itemized tuition and fees due for Catherine Garber.
The receipts are housed in a folder.
The receipts were likely donated to the university by Catherine Garber Crist or her estate at an unknown date.
Immediate source of acquisition is unknown. Records may have been transferred to Special Collections by officials in the Office of the President, or by the Alumni Association, likely between 2006-2012. The materials were not officially accessioned until February 2022.
- Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58454637/raymond-kiser-crist : accessed 14 June 2022), memorial page for Raymond Kiser Crist (15 Oct 1905–24 Jun 1991), Find a Grave Memorial ID 58454637, citing Middle River Church of the Brethren Cemetery, New Hope, Augusta County, Virginia, USA ; Maintained by Marlin Diehl (contributor 47001193).
- Obituary for Catherine Garber Crist, Harrisonburg Daily News-Record, October 24, 2005.
- The Schoolma’am, 1934. Harrisonburg (Va.): State Teachers College.
- A Guide to the Catherine Garber Crist Receipts from the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, 1930-1934
- Kayleigh Bishop
- June 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description