Saufley family photographs
Scope and Content
Photographs organized in two photo albums. Between the two albums there are sixty-six total photographs that largely consist of portraits with a few popular pictures of the time period. The albums include members of the Saufley family as well as in-laws and friends of the family. Other prominent family names that were mentioned in the photographs were the Hooke, VanLear, and Showalter families. All of the photographs in both albums are black and white and each picture has its own page. The photographs themselves were mounted on card stock photo paper with borders that show that the photographs were done by a professional photographer. Most of the photographs have the photographer or photography company name on either the front or back of the photograph. Each photographer or photography company also included their location. The albums themselves do not have any particular arrangement making them rather arbitrary in nature and they consist of portraits of men, women, children, and infants of the families mentioned above.
- Saufley family (Family)
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Saufley family is a very prominent family in the Harrisonburg, Rockingham County area of Virginia. The family has history in the region that dates back to the 1700s. The family married into the Showalter, Hooke, and VanLear families which were also prominent in Rockingham County. The Saufley family established itself in the area when Valentine Saufley immigrated to the United States in 1746 at the age of eighteen. He later married Maria Schneider on May 17, 1748 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He had six children with her, and he would later remarry Catarina Heyl, and they would go on to have five children. Valentine Saufley died on February 6, 1802 in Rockingham County, Virginia. After he died, his family went on to live in Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri.
0.33 cubic feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Saufley Family Photographs, 1880-1903, contain sixty-six photographs of various members and in-laws of the Saufley family. Many members of Saufley, VanLear, Showalter, and Hooke families and their friends are documented.
The photograph albums are arranged according to their original order with each album in its own box.
The collection was gifted to Special Collections after the albums were found in the Saufley Homestead which was built in 1779.
Gifted to Special Collections by Al Saufley in December 2009.
- Whitten, Joyce Hambleton. Some of the Descendants of Valentine Saufley of Rockingham Co., Virginia: including Joannes Saftel of York Co., Pennsylvania and John Saffley of Montgomery Co., Kentucky. Monette, AR: J.H. Whitten, 2002.
The collection number was updated in June 2021 from P 0006 to SC 0316 to 1. align with established manuscript collection numbering scheme with SC prefix and 2. renumber all "photograph" collections with P prefix. The collection name was updated from Saufley Family Photograph Collection to Saufley Family Photographs to simplify the collection title. The arrangement was also simplified at this time. The series arrangement was eliminated due to the size and nature of the collection. Minor edits were made to the archival description.
The photographs were removed from the photograph albums and the albums were presumably discarded. The individual photographs were placed in acid-free envelopes. This was not disclosed as part of the original description.
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History -- Sources
- Hooke family
- Photograph albums
- Saufley family
- Shenandoah County (Va.) -- History -- Sources
- Showalter family
- United States -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- United States -- Social life and customs -- 20th century
- VanLear family
- Virginia -- Genealogy -- Sources
- Virginia -- History -- Sources
- Virginia -- History, Local -- Sources
- Virginia -- Social life and customs
- A Guide to the Saufley Family Photographs, 1880-1903
- Russell Zeltner and Adam Kelley
- December 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2021: The collection number was updated in June 2021 from P 0006 to SC 0316 to 1. align with established manuscript collection numbering scheme with SC prefix and 2. renumber all "photograph" collections with P prefix. The collection name was updated from Saufley Family Photograph Collection to Saufley Family Photographs to simplify the collection title.