Anne Christiansen Chapman Scrapbook
Scope and Contents
The Anne Christiansen Chapman Scrapbook, 1920-1922, comprises a bound scrapbook containing printed emphemera, holiday-themed ephemera (Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentine's Day), ticket stubs, newspaper clippings, photographs, postcards, correspondence, musical and theater programs including some from the New Virginia Theater, and school related papers documenting Christiansen's time as a student at the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg. The scrapbook also includes Christiansen's handwritten annotations, anecdotes, and classmates' autographs.
Additonal material includes a letter from Louise E. Gibboney inviting Christiansen to become a member of Lee Literary Society as well as a letter from the Executive Board notifying Chapman that she has been appointed to serve as head montior on the first floor of Ashby Hall.
The scrapbook is "The School Girl's Memory Book," a mass-produced scrapbook designed by Victor de Kubinyi, Barse & Hopkins, New York. Some pages are blank.
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Anne Sophie Christiansen (1902-1983) of Newport News, Virginia matriculated to the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg in the fall of 1920 as a junior and graduated in 1922. She married Vernon Lee Chapman in 1933.
While a student, Christiansen was a member of the Hampton Roads Club, Tidewater Club, Lee Literary Society, Executive Board, Hiking Club, YWCA, and Social Standards Club.
0.17 cubic feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Anne Christiansen Chapman Scrapbook, 1920-1922, comprises a bound scrapbook containing printed emphemera, photographs, programs, and school related papers documenting Chapman's time as a student at the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg.
The scrapbook remains bound and the original order of its contents is retained.
The scrapbook likely formed part of a larger transfer of materials from James Madison University's Alumni Association. originally donated to them by alumni or alumni's families. The specific donation date to the Alumni Association is unknown as is the transfer date to Special Collections.
- Find a Grave, database and images (www.findagrave.com/memorial/68875292/anne-c-chapman : accessed 03 May 2021), memorial page for Anne C Chapman (17 Feb 1902–11 Nov 1983), Find a Grave Memorial ID 68875292, citing Peninsula Memorial Park, Newport News, Newport News City, Virginia, USA ; Maintained by Lawrence L Morgan (contributor 47395147).
- The Schoolma'am, 1921. Harrisonburg (Va.): State Normal School for Women.
- The Schoolma'am, 1922. Harrisonburg (Va.): State Normal School for Women.
- "Virginia Marriages, 1785-1940", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5BV-FYL : 29 January 2020), Anne Sophie Christiansen in entry for Vernon Lee Chapman, 1933.
During pre-processing the scrapbook pages were numbered in pencil by Special Collections staff, loose inserts removed, and individually sleeved. The decision was made during final processing (several years after pre-processing presumably took place) to place the loose inserts back in the scrapbook in order to retain the inegrity of the scrapbook and context of its contents. The pages are still numbered.
- Concert programs
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
- Lee Literary Society
- Printed Ephemera
- School records
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students -- Social life and customs
- Theater programs
- A Guide to the Anne Christiansen Chapman Scrapbook, 1920-1922
- Tiffany Cole
- May 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description