Dining services at JMU oral histories
Scope and Content
Dining Services at JMU Oral Histories, 2004, is comprised audio recordings, transcripts, and research notes related to seven interviews Torisky conducted with individuals regarding their experiences with dining services at James Madison University. Narrators include the Campus Dietition, several JMU alumnae, the Director of Vending Services, the former Controller of Dining Services, and a faculty member of the Health Science Department. They recall various dining services facilities, including "D-Hall" and PC Dukes, experiences with vendors such as Aramark and Marriott, and memories of eating experiences on campus. The materials also include a digital copy of the research paper, "History of Dining Services at James Madison University," authored by Torisky in 2007.
Access to oral histories is governed by agreements with the narrators. Collection is open to research within the Special Collections Reading Room. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Rights assessment is the responsibility of the researcher. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Dr. Danielle Torisky is an Associate Professor in the Dietetics Program at James Madison University. In 2003 she was the recipient of a Burruss Grant, awarded by James Madison University Libraries to research the history of JMU’s Dining Services from 1908-2004. Torisky conducted a series of interviews which contributed to the research paper, “History of Dining Services at JMU,” published by Torisky in 2007. It was intended to support exhibits and other events in the celebration of the JMU Centennial in 2008.
0.5 cubic feet (8 folders, 8 audiocassettes, 1 cd)
Language of Materials
Dining Services at JMU Oral Histories, 2004, is comprised audio recordings, transcripts, and research notes related to seven interviews conducted by Danielle Torisky with individuals regarding their experiences with dining services at James Madison University.
Interviews are arranged alphabetically by last name.
Materials were donated by Danielle Torisky on October 9, 2007.
Interviews were recorded by Torisky on 4 audiocassettes, and subsequently, duplicate audiocassettes were made.
- Burruss, Julian Ashby, 1876-1947
- College students -- Nutrition -- Virginia
- Dingledine, Raymond C., Jr., 1919-1990
- Duke, Samuel Page, 1885-1955
- Education, Higher -- Virginia -- History
- James Madison University -- Buildings -- History
- James Madison University -- History
- James Madison University -- Buildings
- Jones, Nancy Bondurant, 1930-2017
- Madison College -- History
- Oral histories (literary works)
- Rose, Linwood H., 1951-
- State Normal and Industrial School for Women (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- A Guide to the Dining Services at JMU Oral Histories, 2004
- Sarah Roth-Mullet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description