Integration: The African American experience in Harrisonburg, Virginia oral histories
Scope and Content
Integration: the African American Experience in Harrisonburg, Virginia, Oral Histories, 1997, is comprised of audio recordings, transcripts and a background paper associated with interviews conducted with Harrisonburg residents, Elon Rhodes and Barbara Blakey, regarding their experiences living in Virginia from the 1920s-1990s.
Access to oral histories is governed by agreements with the narrators. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Todd Fisher, an undergraduate student at James Madison University, conducted this interview as part of the coursework for Anthropology 284, in the Fall of 1991.
0.25 cubic feet (3 folders, 3 audiocassettes, 2 cds )
Language of Materials
Integration: the African American Experience in Harrisonburg, Virginia, Oral Histories, 1997, is comprised of audio recordings, transcripts and a background paper associated with interviews conducted with Harrisonburg residents Elon Rhodes and Barbara Blakey, regarding their experiences living in Virginia from the 1920s-1990s.
Items are arranged in no particular order.
Donated by Todd Fisher on April 29, 1997.
Audiocassettes were transferred to MAMA-R 700MB gold cd-r using Tascam cc-222 mkII; 270mb in 2006.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History
- African Americans -- Education -- Southern States
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- Race relations
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Race discrimination -- United States -- History
- Racism -- Political aspects -- United States
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Race relations -- 20th century
- School integration -- Law and legislation
- Segregation in education -- United States
- Segregation in education -- Virginia -- History
- Social change
- Social justice
- Social justice -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg
- United States -- Race relations -- 20th century
- Voting -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- A Guide to Integration: The African American Experience in Harrisonburg, Virginia Oral Histories
- JMU Libraries cataloging staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the James Madison University Libraries Special Collections Repository
880 Madison Drive
Harrisonburg Virginia 22807