Radical Roots Community Farm Collection
Scope and Content
The collection contains issues of “Radical Roots Garden Journal,” a single-page newsletter issued in conjunction with their CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) deliveries. The newsletter contains short articles by growers, farm updates, recipes, and a list of the content of the CSA share.
The Friendly City Food Cooperative file contains documents related to the founding of the co-op, including subscription information, membership agreement and information about its founding.
- Radical Roots Community Farms (Organization)
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Radical Roots Community Farm is a five-acre farm in Keezletown, Virginia, that grows organic vegetables and educates about permaculture and sustainable agriculture. It was founded by Dave and Lee O’Neill in 2000. Radical Roots Community Farm started a farm-share CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program in 2005.
The Friendly City Food Co-op is a consumer-owned grocery store cooperative in Harrisonburg that sources produce from local vendors. It opened on June 6, 2011. Friendly City Food Co-op serves as a pick-up point for several local farms that offer CSA shares, including Radical Roots Farm.
0.24 cubic feet (3 folders)
Language of Materials
The Radical Roots Community Farm Collection, 2006-2008, is comprised of issues of the “Radical Roots Garden Journal” and brochures by the Radical Roots Community Farm in Keezletown, Virginia, as well as documents related to the founding of the Friendly City Food Co-op in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Items are arranged by type.
Items were donated by Julia Merkel on July 8, 2010.
- Friendly City Food Co-op. “Get to Know the Food Co-op.” Friendlycity.coop https://friendlycity.coop/get-to-know-the-food-co-op/ (accessed June 6, 2018).
- Radical Roots Community Farm. “About Us.” Radicalrootsfarm.com. http://radicalrootsfarm.com/about-us/ (accessed June 6, 2018).
- Administrative records
- Community-supported agriculture -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg
- Community-supported agriculture -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Food cooperatives -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg
- Organic farming -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Permaculture -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Sustainable agriculture -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- A Guide to the Radical Roots Community Farm Collection, 2006-2008
- Sarah Roth-Mullet
- May 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description