Office of the President: G. Tyler Miller Papers
Scope and Content
The G. Tyler Miller Papers are comprised of interviews, correspondence, minutes, reports, court documents and judiciary transcripts created during Miller’s tenure as president of Madison College from 1949-1971. The collection is comprised of three series: Professional Papers, Court Documents, and Disciplinary Papers.
- Miller, G. Tyler (George Tyler), 1902-1988 (Creator, Person)
Collection is open for research with the exception of Series 3: Disciplinary Papers, which is closed due to FERPA restrictions. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Copyright for materials authored or otherwise produced as official business of James Madison University is retained by James Madison University. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. For more information, contact the Special Collections Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Staff have taken special care to identify and remove sensitive materials, particularly those relating to students’ academic records, found within this collection. However, in rare instances, privacy protected information may be revealed during use of this collection. Researchers agree to make no notes or other recordation of privacy protected information if found within this collection, and further agree not to publish or disclose such information for any purpose. Researchers agree to alert Special Collections staff if potentially privacy protected information is found within this collection. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
George Tyler Miller was born July 25, 1902 in Washington, Virginia. He earned a B.S. from Virginia Military Academy in 1923. He was the third president of Madison College, serving from 1949-1971. During his administration, enrollment increased from 1,000 students to 4,300. The campus was enlarged by 240 acres, and twenty-one major buildings were constructed during his tenure. During his tenure, he served as director of the National Commission on Accreditation and President of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. President Miller died in 1988.
3.2 cubic feet (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Office of the President: G. Tyler Miller Papers are comprised of interviews, correspondence, minutes, reports, court documents and judiciary transcripts created during Miller’s tenure as president of Madison College from 1949-1971. The collection is comprised of three series: Professional Papers, Court Documents, and Disciplinary Papers.
The collection is arranged into three series, and are arranged by subject matter and chronology.
- Professional Papers, 1940-1983
- Court Documents, 1969-1998 (bulk 1969-1971)
- Disciplinary Papers, 1965-1971 (Restricted)
This collection consists of several accessions: documents from the Office of the President on January 1, 1996; files from the Chancellor’s Office (President Emeritus, Ronald Carrier) February 17, 2004.
- Dingledine, Raymond C. “Madison College, the First Fifty Years, 1908-1958.” Harrisonburg, VA: Madison College, 1959.
This collection was formerly given collection number PR 2004-0217. Sound recordings from formerly cataloged as RE 93-0427.
- Administrative reports
- Education, Higher -- Administration
- Education, Higher -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg -- History
- James Madison University -- History
- Legal documents
- Letters (correspondence)
- Madison College -- History
- Madison College -- Presidents
- Miller, G. Tyler (George Tyler), 1902-1988
- Minutes (administrative records)
- Newspaper clippings
- Rainey, Jay Garland, 1946-
- Universities and colleges -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg -- History
- A Guide to the Office of the President: G. Tyler Miller Papers, 1941-1998
- Sarah Roth-Mullet
- March 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2022-11: Materials created by or addressed to G. Tyler Miller were separated from the vertical file Anniversaries: 50th and added to the collection.