Thomas A. Turk Letter
Scope and Contents
This is a single-page letter, written by Thomas A. Turk to a Mr. Larry, dated February 18, 1859. Turk discusses an upcoming trip to Pokahontas, and requests that Larry relay information about a Mr. Lockridge, so that Turk can secure the purchase of an enslaved person from him. He states, “if you can find out which Lockridge that has the negroes for sale and where he lives it is likely that I can make it on my way to see him before I return.”
- 1859 February 18
- Turk, Thomas A., 1808-1871 (Person)
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Additional records pertaining to Thomas A. Turk (1808-1871) reveal that he owned land, likely in Augusta County, Virginia. An 1850 letter written by lawyer and future Confederate general, John Daniel Imboden, to Alexander H.H. Stuart, discusses a lawsuit of Daniel Mosby against Thomas Turk over possession of a tract of land.
Pokahontas (Pocahontas) is in Tazewell County, in northwestern Virginia, near the West Virginia border.
0.06 cubic feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Single-page letter, written by Thomas A. Turk to a Mr. Larry, dated February 18, 1859. Turk writes from Staunton, Virginia, and requests information about a Mr. Lockridge in order to secure the purchase of one or more enslaved people.
One document housed in a folder.
According to the record of sale, the letter was formerly the property of a private collector from Augusta County, Virginia.
Item was purchased at auction on November 10, 2017, from Jeffrey S. Evans and Associates and formed part of Lot #195.
- Find A Grave, “Thomas A. Turk (1808-1871),” Find a Grave Memorial no. 43359403. Accessed December 11, 2017. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43359403/thomas-a.-turk.
- Papers of Alexander H. H. Stuart and the related Stuart and Baldwin families, Accession #228-a, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va. Accessed December 11, 2017. http://search.vaheritage.org/vivaxtf/view?docId=uva-sc/viu00102.xml.
The Thomas A. Turk Letter was separated from other documents in Lot #195, based on collection assessment at the time of purchase.
- A Guide to the Thomas A. Turk Letter, February 18, 1859
- Sarah Roth-Mullet
- December 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description