Davis, Kline, and Hutton Family papers
Scope and Content
The Davis, Kline, and Hutton Family Papers, 1816-1977, are comprised of correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, legal documents, and miscellaneous papers relating to Charles L. Davis of Singers Glen, Virginia and his descendants. Some documents are seemingly unrelated to the aforementioned families, but concern other local persons. Correspondence between Charles and Edith Long Davis and letters from their daughter Letha to Earl Kline comprise the bulk of the collection. Scrapbooks created by Mary Kline Hutton also make up a significant portion of the collection.
- Hutton, Mary Davis Kline, 1934-2017 (Creator, Person)
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Charles L. Davis (1874-1960) was born to John Conrad Davis and Mahulda Simmons Davis of Lewis County, West Virginia. Davis moved to Broadway, Virginia in 1892 and to Singers Glen, Virginia in 1896 where he lived the remainder of his life. While in West Virginia, Davis was a school teacher. He pursued the carpentry trade after moving to Virginia. Additionally, Davis served his community as a clerk, judge, and county committeeman for Singers Glen. He was a member of the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) Church in Singers Glen. Davis married Edith Belle Long (1876-1965) of Singers Glen and together they had three children – Letha (1899-1986), Charles Russell (1906-1976), and Price Albert (1907-1979). Edith was born to Conrad Long and Phoebe Catherine Burgendine Long. Like her husband, Edith was a member of the local EUB congregation.
Their daughter Letha, a lifelong member of the Singers Glen EUB church and a member of the Disabled American Veterans auxiliary, went on to marry Earl Alpheus Kline (1896-1967). Kline was born to Benjamin B. Kline and Ella Mae Wilkins Kline. He was employed as one of the first electrical contractors in Rockingham County and later worked at REA and Madison College. The Klines had three children – Earl Jr., Eleanor Aletha (1922-2016), and Mary Davis (1934-2017).
On June 22, 1957, Mary Davis Kline married Ralph Bartlett “Penny” Hutton (1923-1993). The couple had one child, born Ralph Bartlett Hutton II (November 12, 1958-November 13, 1958), who died in infancy. Mary graduated from Broadway High School and from Madison College in 1955 with a Bachelor of Science degree in home economics education. She taught at Elkton High School for 10 years before working as a home economist for VEPCO (now Virginia Power) and went on to serve as the first school food service supervisor for Harrisonburg City Schools. She retired in 1991 after 17 years with the Virginia Department of Education. She was a member of the American Home Economics Association and the American School Food Service Association. Mary was a prolific scrapbooker and chronicled much of her adult life in this way.
3 cubic feet (7 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Davis, Kline, and Hutton Family Papers, 1816-1977, are comprised of correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, legal documents, and miscellaneous papers relating to Charles L. Davis of Singers Glen, Virginia and his descendants. Some documents are seemingly unrelated to the aforementioned families, but concern other local persons.
The collection is arranged in four series. Series 1 is arranged by letter recipient and further arranged chronologically. Series 2 is arranged chronologically. Series 3 is arranged by form and further arranged chronologically. Series 4 is arranged by form and further arranged chronologically.
- Correspondence, 1891-1919, 1940
- Ephemera, 1911-1967
- Ledgers and Papers, 1816-1945
- Photographs and Scrapbooks, 1919-1977
The materials in this collection were purchased by Special Collections at the April 8, 2017 estate sale of Mary Hutton. The sale took place in Elkton, Virginia and was auctioneered by Charley Whetzel. A small lot of Ralph B. Hutton's membership cards were acquired in the spring of 2019 from Rolling Hills Antique Mall. The cards originated from the same auction.
- Obituary for Charles L. Davis, Daily News-Record, July 6, 1960.
- Obituary for Edith Long Davis, Daily News-Record, April 12, 1965.
- Obituary for Earl A. Kline, Daily News-Record, September 22, 1967.
- Obituary for Letha Davis Kline, Daily News-Record, March 5, 1986.
- Obituary for Mary Kline Hutton, Daily News-Record, May 18, 2017.
- Program for the Forty-sixth Annual Commencement Exercises, Madison College, June 5, 1955.
This collection was originally housed in a photo album with most documents placed in Mylar sleeves. The materials were without a clear arrangement scheme. The archivist removed the documents from the album and imposed an artificial arrangement based on person or group of persons. However, it is unclear how some of the family names represented in this collection relate to the Davises, Klines, or Huttons. Box 3 which contains seven ledgers and notebooks is inaccessible due to ongoing preservation treatment. The ledgers within exhibit evidence of mold and are being treated accordingly.
- Account books
- Family papers
- Ledgers (account books)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Love letters
- Photograph albums
- Plats (maps)
- Printed Ephemera
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Rural families
- Singers Glen (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Singers Glen (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Singers Glen (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Singers Glen (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Social history -- 19th century
- Social history -- 20th century
- Stock certificates
- Hutton, Mary Davis Kline, 1934-2017 (Creator, Person)
- Whetzel, Charlie, 1940-2021 (Auctioneer, Person)
- A Guide to the Davis, Kline, and Hutton Family Papers, 1816-1977
- Tiffany Cole
- July 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2019 June 14: Added folder of various Ralph B. Hutton membership cards to Ephemera series. Cards were acquired as part of larger lot of materials (not individually accessioned) from Rolling Hills Antique Mall in spring 2019.
- 2022-12-01: Oversize series was intellectually removed and items were arranged into other existing series.
Part of the James Madison University Libraries Special Collections Repository
880 Madison Drive
Harrisonburg Virginia 22807