Eva Rooshup Kohl Papers
Scope and Content
The Eva Rooshup Kohl Papers, 1919, 1971, contain paper memorabilia belonging to Eva Rooshup Kohl from her time as a student at the State Normal School for Women in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
The items include a college battalion arm band accompanied by a note presumably written by Kohl describing the band’s provenance, a place card, a 1919 receipt from the college for money paid toward board, a handwritten note from physiology professor Mary Iscah Bell, an invitation to the 1919 Alumnae Banquet, and a small program for the 1919 Class Day activities. A homecoming mailer sent by James Madison University Alumni Association in the winter of 1971 is also included.
- Kohl, Eva Rooshup, 1899-2000 (Person)
Collection is open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Eva Rooshup was born in Wisconsin on May 25, 1899. She graduated from John Marshall High School in Richmond, Virginia in 1917 and afterward enrolled at the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg. Kohl participated in the college’s Home Economics Club, Y.W.C.A., and the Lee Literary Society. She also served as a corporal in Company B of the college battalion. Classmates regarded her as friendly, energetic, and good-natured with “sparkling brown eyes.” At some point during her time at the State Normal School for Women, Kohl was afflicted with the Spanish flu. She graduated in the spring of 1919.
Eva Rooshup married Elmer Kohl in Richmond, Virginia on September 9, 1920. They were living in Detroit, Michigan in 1921. By 1930, Eva and Elmer Kohl were living in Varina, Virginia, southeast of Richmond. In 1940, they still resided in Varina with their three children Alberta, Phyllis, and J. Preston Kohl, as well as two lodgers and a cousin.
Kohl died on July 15, 2000 and was buried in the Varina Episcopal Church Cemetery in Varina Grove, Virginia.
0.06 cubic feet (1 letter folder)
Language of Materials
The Eva Rooshup Kohl Papers, 1919, 1971, contain paper memorabilia belonging to Eva Rooshup Kohl from her time as a student at the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg.
The collection is arranged chronologically in one folder.
This collection was donated to the James Madison University Alumni Association by the Kohl family and was subsequently transferred to the Special Collections Library.
- Horne, Constance Chappell. “Eva R Kohl.” FindAGrave. Accessed December 2, 2015. http://www.findagrave.com/.
- The Schoolma'am, 1919. Harrisonburg (Va.): State Normal School for Women.
- "United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:C6R5-Q2M : accessed 18 November 2015), Eva R Kohl in household of Elmer J Kohl, Varina, Henrico, Virginia, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 14, sheet 14B, line 52, family 291, NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002), roll 2446; FHL microfilm 2,342,180.
- "United States Census, 1940," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRB4-46N : accessed 5 January 2017), Eva R Kohl in household of Elmer J Kohl, Varina Magisterial District, Henrico, Virginia, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 44-35B, sheet 2B, line 71, family 36, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 4269.
- Financial records
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
- Notes (documents)
- Place cards
- Printed Ephemera
- Programs (documents)
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students -- Social life and customs
- Kohl, Eva Rooshup, 1899-2000 (Person)
- A Guide to the Eva Rooshup Kohl Papers, 1919, 1971
- Ellen Blackmon
- November 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the James Madison University Libraries Special Collections Repository
880 Madison Drive
Harrisonburg Virginia 22807