Sam Bowman Papers
Scope and Content
The Sam Bowman Papers, 1848-1967, consists of one folder of miscellaneous papers and seven business ledgers that document operations of the Bowman family dairy farm in Rockingham County, Virginia. The miscellaneous folder contains tax receipts from 1859 and 1865, an 1862 receipt for military supplies of twenty bushels of corn, an 1882 Constitution of the West Rockingham Mutual Fire Insurance Company, an 1891 receipt for a claim for property taken by U.S. soldiers in the Civil War, a 1929 timber contract, 1942 Certificates of War necessity for Vehicle, and a summary of the S.R. Bowman Estate, 1936-1960. Ledger 7 is the partnership book of R.L. and S.R. Bowman, 1963-1967.
- Creation: 1848-1967
- Bowman family (Family)
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
The Bowman family is a very prominent one that has been established in the Rockingham County area since the eighteenth century. The first of the Bowmans to settle in the area was George Bowman and his wife Mary Hite, who traveled from Philadelphia with her family to start a colony in the Shenandoah Valley around 1731. George and Mary had thirteen children in total: John George, John Jacob, Emma Maria, Elizabeth, Johannes, Sarah, Regina, Rebecca, George, Abraham, Joseph, Catherine, and Isaac. They made their home on Cedar Creek and built a large stone house which was passed to their son Isaac. John, Joseph, Abraham, and Isaac went on to become prominent members of society and in the military during the Revolutionary War, in which they were high ranking officers that contributed greatly to the fight for independence.
0.51 cubic feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Sam Bowman Papers, 1848-1967, consist of miscellaneous materials and seven business ledgers that document operations of the Bowman family dairy farm in Rockingham County, Virginia.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was donated to Special Collections in April 1999 by Sam Bowman.
- Wayland, John W. The Bowmans: A Pioneering Family in Virginia, Kentucky and the Northwest Territory. Staunton, Va.: McClure Co. 1943.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3092.
- Bowman, Sam (Person)
- West Rockingham Mutual Fire Insurance Company (Title of work: Constitution.) (Organization)
- Bowman, Sam (Person)
Genre / Form
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Genealogy
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Social life and customs
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Confiscations and contributions
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Equipment and supplies
- United States -- History -- World War, 1939-1945 -- Transportation
- Virginia -- Genealogy
- Virginia -- History
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Virginia -- Social life and customs
- Agriculture -- Virginia -- History
- Business records -- Sources
- Dairy farming -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia -- Sources
- Farmers -- Virginia
- Lumber trade -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Military supplies -- Economic aspects -- United States
- Selling -- Corn
- Timber -- Contracts and specifications -- Virginia
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Economic aspects -- United States
- A Guide to the Sam Bowman Papers, 1848-1967
- Chris Bolgiano, Alicia Henneberry
- October 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description