Skip to main content

Spotswood Garden Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: SC 0146

  • Staff Only

Scope and Content

The Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2018, are comprised of the administrative records of the club and include meeting minutes, files, and scrapbooks. Additonal materials include annual reports and flower show programs.

Dates

  • 1924-2018

Creator

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.

Use Restrictions

The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (library-special@jmu.edu).

Administrative History

The Spotswood Garden Club was founded in Harrisonburg in 1924, with twenty-four charter members and Mrs. James C. Johnston as president. The goals of the club were "the culture and study of flowers, to aid in conservation of forests, native shrubs, wildflowers and birds, and to foster civic improvements." In 1929, the club was elected to membership in the Garden Club of Virginia, and has frequently participated in that organization's annual Historic Garden Week by securing the cooperation of owners of historic homes in the area to open those homes and grounds for public appreciation. Community work has been an important focus through the years. The club emphasized "Victory Gardens" during World War II and later worked for legislation to remove unsightly billboards. It has sponsored a variety of activities to enhance appreciation of native wildflowers, and has planted gardens at nursing homes, schools, hospitals, cemeteries, and throughout the city. Spotswood Garden Club has also sponsored or co-sponsored many flower shows. In 1983 the club undertook the restoration of the historic garden at Fort Harrison in Dayton, including its continuing maintenance. In 1991 the club joined Greener Harrisonburg and intensified its city beautification efforts.

Extent

3.47 cubic feet (7 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2018, are comprised of the administrative records of the club and include meeting minutes, files, and scrapbooks.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged by item type and further arranged chronologically.

Acquisition Information

This collection was placed on deposit with Special Collections on September 10, 1997 by club representative Electra C. Julias. Additional donation of scrapbooks was made on July 23, 2018, by Sandra Hodge.

Processing Information

In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3090.

Title
A Guide to the Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2018
Status
Completed
Author
Chris Bolgiano, Special Collections Staff
Date
September 1997, 2001, July 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the James Madison University Libraries Special Collections Repository

Contact:
880 Madison Drive
MSC 1704
Harrisonburg Virginia 22807
(540) 568-3612