New Market Poll Books
Scope and Content
This collection contains one folder of ten poll books for elections held in New Market, Lee Township/Magisterial District, Shenandoah County, Virginia, in May and November 1873, November 1874, May and November 1875 and 1877, November 1878, and May and November 1879. Each book is paperbound and contains the oaths of judges and clerks of the election and signatures of electors.
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Poll books were used as a record of citizens who voted in elections.
0.08 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Shenandoah County poll books dating to the 1870s.
The poll books are arranged chronologically in one folder.
Purchased by Friends of Carrier Library at Green Valley Auction Barn near Mt. Crawford, Virginia on July 23, 1994.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 2089.
- Clerks of court -- United States -- Sources
- Elections -- Virginia -- History -- Sources
- Judges -- Virginia -- New Market -- Sources
- Local government -- Virginia -- New Market -- Sources
- Public records -- Virginia -- New Market -- Sources
- Virginia -- Genealogy -- Sources
- Virginia -- Officials and employees -- 19th century -- Sources
- Voters' lists
- Voting registers -- Virginia -- New Market
- A Guide to the New Market Poll Books, 1873-1879
- Chris Bolgiano, Kayla Payne
- October 1994, June 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description