Shenandoah Valley Legal Documents
Scope and Content
This collection comprises 94 legal documents such as contracts, agreements, a will, letters from attorneys and primarily, copies of deeds from 1751-1968. Also included are several real estate tax receipts from the Plains District in Rockingham County dating from 1921-1935. Most of the documents pertain to the Riddle/Riddel family. One document that stands out is a 1908 injunction against 29 defendants for cutting timber without warrant. Series 1 contains all the aforementioned legal documents with the exception of the tax records which comprise Series 2.
- Creation: 1751-1968
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1901-1935
Collection is open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Most of the documents pertain to the Riddle/Riddel family.
0.2 cubic feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection is comprised of 94 legal and tax related documents.
The collection is arranged in two series:
- Legal documents, 1751-1968
- Tax record receipts, 1921-1935
Purchased from Scott Suter in October 2005.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in 2017-2018. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 4051.
Genre / Form
- Plains District, Rockingham County (Va.) -- Records and correspondence
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Genealogy -- Sources
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 18th century
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 19th century
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 20th century
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Sources
- Land titles -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Real property -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Taxation -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Wills -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- A Guide to the Shenandoah Valley Legal Documents, 1751-1968 (bulk 1901-1935)
- Julia Merkel
- March 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description