Skip to main content

Lucy F. Simms School (Public school)



  • Existence: 1938 - 1966


Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:

Dale F. Harter Collection of "Undocumented Deeds: An Exhibit on the History of Harrisonburg's African-American Community, 1930-1985"

Identifier: SC 0105

These four folders contain items and information used in the exhibit "Undocumented Deeds: an exhibit on the history of Harrisonburg's African-American Community." The exhibit was curated by Dale F. Harter and held in the Warren-Sipe Museum of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society in the autumn of 1991.

Dates: Event: 1991

James Curry interviewed by Inez Ramsey, 1978 August 2

Identifier: SdArch 5. File 5-7
Scope and Contents Records the reminiscences of Mr. James Curry of Harrisonburg, Va., custodian of Spotswood Elementary School and first black deacon of the Mennonite Church in Va. Describes childhood including life on the farm, discipline of children, education (Effinger and Lucy Simms schools), childhood games; his family; black churches including the Broad Street Mennonite Church, Pleasant Hill AME Church; black communities (Port Republic, Bridgewater, Red Hill in Harrisonburg); black businesses (carpenter...
Dates: 1978 August 2

Lucy F. Simms School, 1939, 1961

 Item — Box: RS 10
Identifier: SC 0210. Series 2

Lucy Simms oral histories

Identifier: SdArch 20

The oral history collection includes the recollections of Carlotta Harris, Edgar Johnson and wife, Wilhelmina Johnson, Louise Winston, and Elon Rhodes, former students of Lucy Simms, and Ellen Walker, current owner of the Lucy Simms house.

Dates: 2000

Ruth and Lowell Toliver Collection of Newman Family Papers

Identifier: SC 0313

The Ruth and Lowell Toliver Collection of Newman Family Papers, circa 1875-2005, comprises a manuscript, writings, personal papers, photograph facsimiles, church records, and correspondence related to George A. Newman (1855-1944), his daughter Ruby Newman Temple (1898-1983), his grandson Austin Gerald Harris (1941-2005), and Harrisonburg's Northeast Neighborhood and Newtown.

Dates: circa 1875-2005